Australian Adventures

A description of my many Australian encounters ensues.

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Actual Koalas!

Real koalas!!! They were in several spots in the sanctuary, but I took my best pictures with this one. His name is Djembe (don't ask me how to pronounce that, because I haven't the slightest idea), and he is adorable.


Koalas like to eat eucalyptus leaves, which make them really sleepy. I was so excited when Djembe decided to go for a walk, and even more excited when I saw that I had a really good photo of him! And I wasn't the only excited one... there was a horde of Japanese female tourists who all started shouting, "Cute!!! It's so cute!!! It's moving!! Look, look, it's moving!!" That was definitely funny.


Djembe decided to move into the shade. Who can blame him? It was a little warm yesterday. He probably decided to go to sleep... all of the other koalas at the sanctuary were already sleeping.


Did you know? It costs about $5,000 to feed one koala for one year. Koalas eat eucalyptus leaves, and the sanctuary had no shortage of those... however, koalas eat other foods, too! It gets to be really expensive to have a koala. Too bad, though... they're really cute!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home